For our Gathering Minds Meeting this past month the MMX team and friends read You are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero. One year ago we read You are a Badass, Jen Sincero's first book, and LOVED it!
About the book:
From the number one New York Times bestselling author of You Are a Badass, an in-depth guide to making the kind of money you've only ever dreamed of. You Are a Badass at Making Money is a refreshingly frank and entertaining step-by-step guide to overcoming the fears and stumbling blocks that have kept financial success out of reach and to giving yourself the permission to make the kind of money you've never made before.
We didn't love this book as much as Your are a Badass. Although Jen is still hilariously entertaining in this follow up, the tips for making money felt a bit weak. It felt like more of a history on the author's journey than a guideline to making money. Here's what we took away from the book:
- Money is just a messenger; how we choose to use it is what gives it personality. A lot of people are hung up on the thought that "money is evil" but really it's only evil if you choose to use it in evil ways. It can be incredibly empowering and positive as well.
- Switch your mindset to always be on the look out for opportunities that could advance you financially.
- Be aware of your "I am" statements. Change common phrases such as "I'm broke (so I can't come)" to "I'm able to make this happen".
- Money is all about a mindset shift. Often we have the money to complete the things we wish to, it just comes down to priorities. Are you willing to shift your priorities to free up cash?
- Switch to a mindset of abundance versus scarcity.
- More money invested allows you to have more skin in the game.
On a scale of 1-10 where 1 equals a book with little value one would not wish to read again, and 10 equals a fantastic book with the ability to grow an individual personally, professionally or both, we rated this book 6.7.
Are you interested in personal and professional development? We invite you to join our Gathering Minds Meetings! Check out some of our past reads below:
Next month we're reading Shoe Dog: A Memoir By The Creator Of Nike, Phil Knight. Email [email protected] for more details.